Our Liege is in desperate hour!
From what grievous cause have these accursed races arisen?
Orcs, Dragons, Demons and the Dead make haste towards Monarch City.
The King and Countryside of Monarch City is in need of valiant Heroes!
Will you answer the King's call?
Designed by Richard Launius (Arkham Horror) and legendary fantasy artist, Larry Elmore.
In the ancient Citadel of Monarch City, the King calls to arms the finest Heroes to defend against a Darkness that engulfs the land. You and your allies must embark on a journey to defend the countryside, repair the tainted lands, and defeat the four creature factions before one of them enters the City. And they approach from all sides! Fast populating Orcs! Fierce Dragons! Undead that bring Terror! And Demons! All tainting the land in their wake. There are several paths to defeat, but only one path to victory, and only the most valiant Hero will be named King's Champion.
Defenders of the Realm is a cooperative fantasy board game in which 1-4 players take a role as one of the King's Champions (Choose from Cleric, Dwarf, Eagle Rider, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer and Wizard).
You, as one of the King's Heroes make use of strategy, special abilities, cooperation, card play and a little luck in Defense of the Realm for a unique experience every adventure.
But be forewarned! There is never time to rest. As each Enemy General is struck down in battle, the remaining dark forces only grow more difficult to vanquish and their march to Monarch City gets faster with each Hero victory!
# of Players: 1 − 4
Mfg Suggested Ages: 13+
Playing Time: 90 minutes
“Defenders of the Realm is a strong co-operative game… moving inexorably toward defeat for the players… who must constantly balance a variety of goals to push back that defeat.” ~~Shannon Applecline on RPG.net
"The game has quick turns, lots of fighting, choices between personal and group gains, and special powers." ~~ Stephen Avery
"This is going to be one of the most popular cooperative games ever. I'm still amazed at how different all of the characters feel." ~~ Tom Vasel on the Dice Tower
The King’s eyebrows lifted--revealing his disbelief. “More Dragons?” He mouthed the words in an alarmed whisper. The messenger nervously nodded. Dragons had not been in the Realm for centuries. Not since the days when the High Wizard Amarak advised the Royal Court. But now, not only had the Blue Dragon attacked the settlements on the frontier of the Blizzard Mountain Range with an army of her dragonkin, but other new Dragons had been sighted, clearly in the service of the Dark Lord’s army. Hemlock, perhaps the most evil of all of the Dragon Generals, was en route from the East. Brimstone was already setting fire and laying waste to settlements near the Realm. And Onyx, the most feared dragon of all, was fast approaching from the North. The King contemplated the bravery and skill of his Heroes.
Would it be enough…?
The Defenders of the Realm: Dragon Expansion allows players to increase or decrease the difficulty level of gameplay using variants and scenarios. 3 new Dragons, 3 Agents of the Dark Lord and 4 new minions enter the Realm!
Defenders of the Realm: Hero Expansion #1 includes four new heroes – with a miniature and character card for each hero – along with six new global effects cards and five tokens for use with the Defenders of the Realm base game. (This expansion also includes a Paladin miniature to replace the onein the base game.) The new heroes introduced in this expansion are:
• Captain of the Guard: The Captain of the Guard is an experienced warrior who can give orders (extra actions) to other player's heroes to carry out on their turn if he chooses, who rides a powerful battle steed, and who has the tactical ability to outwit the enemy troops advancing during his Darkness Spreads phase.
• Assassin: The Assassin can appear and vanish from nowhere, launching sneak attacks on minions, then vanishing to the safety of the shadows at the end of her turn. Most importantly, she has the ability to land a deathblow to any General just when the heroes think all is lost.
• Chaos Wizard: The Chaos Wizard is able to cast powerful spells, but the untamed magic that he uses will not only lay waste to the invading minions, but can also wound himself and other heroes, or destroy the land he is working to protect if not kept in check.
• Adventurer: The Adventurer holds a magical item from previous quests that gives her great ability in card management. Additionally, her questing experience enables her to complete a minor quest for Hero cards each time she ends her turn on a location with a Treasure Chest and grants an advantage on major quests. Couple all this with her ability to mingle with lowlifes of the Inns and she can be a powerful defender of the realm.
Defenders of the Realm: Hero Expansion #2 includes four new heroes – with a miniature and character card for each – along with six new global effects cards for use with the Defenders of the Realm base game. The new heroes you can mix and match with those in the base game or other expansions are:
• Healer: The Healer, although she does not sound particularly powerful, has some very interesting and magical skills. Not only can she spend actions to Heal three wounds to Heroes at her location including herself (especially useful if losing a battle to a General), she automatically heals one wound to all Heroes at the end of her turn if on a location with them. Couple this with the ability to use minion's energy at tainted locations to heal the land and her Walk in the Light ability to ignore a General's combat abilities and you have a very valuable hero to add to your team.
• Druid: The Druid is very powerful in wooded areas (Green Locations) and a strong healer of the tainted land. His "One with the Earth" ability keeps him safe from enemies when in the woods and his ability to summon woodland creatures at any Green Location to attack Minions (even when he is not present) is extremely useful in keeping Orcs and Imps under control.
• Elf Lord: The Elf Lord knows the secret pathways through forests, enabling him to travel swiftly through all green locations. His mastery of Elf Magic enables him to assist himself (or other heroes) with a re-roll of one die each round, and his ability to ambush Minions and Generals in combat makes him a strong warrior in support of the realm.
• Monk: The Monk, a wanderer on some sacred quest for her order, is a master of the Martial Arts, enabling her to land a fury of blows with her staff on the unfortunate minions and Generals she encounters. Additionally, she uses the same training to defend herself against attacks. Her spiritual conditioning and wandering nature provide her with an additional Quest opportunity at all times as she is always holding two Quest Cards.
Defender of the Realm: Hero Expansion #3 includes four new heroes – with a miniature and character card for each – along with a half-dozen new global effects cards and three tokens for use with the Defenders of the Realm base game. The heroes in this expansion are:
• Feline: The Feline, half cat and half human, has the ability to shadow any moving Hero or General, advancing with them as they leave or pass through the area if on foot or horse. Her catlike reflexes and razor-sharp claws make her a strong warrior in defense of the realm.
• Shaman: The Shaman, a shape-shifter and magic user, is a welcome addition to any Hero team. His Arrows of Destruction rain doom on minions and his ability to change into a Wolf or Bear grant him valuable skills in movement and combat.
• Seeker: The Seeker was born with the ability to glimpse the future and as such the Seeker always knows where the next Minion attack will occur and if a General will move. The sword she wields is extremely deadly because of her ability to foresee the battle beforehand, enabling her use all Special Cards as Battle Luck cards. If her attacks fail to defeat all enemy in the area, she can call upon her magic to summon images that will confuse her attackers and send them them wandering off to other lands.
• Thief: The Thief is the master of sneaking behind enemy lines to not only scout the army of the Dark Lord, but also to steal battle plans from the General's headquarters tent. While not the greatest of warriors, the use of her daggers in combat, especially when treasure can be stolen, often enables her to question the enemy before dispatching them and to gain valuable information in the form of Hero Cards.
These are new alternate general characters that add variety to your Defenders of the Realm game. The expansion inlcudes the alternate demon general: Ygzell the Corrupt, the alternate orc general: Gash Bloodclaw, and the alternate undead general: Lord Vileheart. The set comes with 3 unpainted figures and 3 placards.
The Dragonkin Minions are made up primarily of the brutal Dragonkin themselves. These ancient creatures are half-man/half-dragon, with hard-scaled skin that deflects arrows and blades in combat -- making them the toughest warriors of the Dark Lord's formidable army. Controlling the Dragon-Kin are the Dragon Mages, powerful wizards casting ancient Dragon Spells to protect the armies of the Dark Lord. The Dragonkin Minions pack provides the players with 20 unpainted Dragonkin Minions and 5 unpainted Dragon Mages, along with 2 Minion Reference Cards describing how these Minions are to be used while playing Defenders of the Realm.
The Undead Minions are the most terrifying troops of the Dark Lord’s Army. The most numerous of the Undead Minions are the ferocious Skeleton Warriors raised from the dead by powerful necromancers, terrifying the inhabitants of the Realm as they march unceasingly toward Monarch City. Riding in support of the Undead Skeletons are terrifying Nightmares, heartless creatures raised from the underworld, riding flaming stallions as they terrorize the villages and cities throughout the Realm. The Undead Minions Pack provides the players with 20 unpainted Skeleton Warriors and 5 unpainted Nightmares, along with 2 Minion Reference Cards describing how these Minions are to be used in playing Defenders of the Realm.
The Orc Minions are made up of large numbers of savage warriors and swift Wolf Riders that swarm over the Realm. Although weaker in combat than the Demons, Undead, or Dragon Armies, their vast numbers can lead to a quick Dark Lord victory if not kept in check. The elite Wolf Riders roam the realm making the movement of the Realm Troops and Heroes difficult, disrupting Hero Quests and attack plans. The Orc Minions Pack provides the players with 20 unpainted Orc Warriors and 5 unpainted Wolf Riders, along with 2 Minion Reference Cards describing how these Minions are to be used in playing Defenders of the Realm.
The Demon Minions are foul and corrupt creatures primarily made up of grotesque Gluttons; bloated creatures that feed off the land, destroying all life and consuming the mana from the Realm as they trundle toward Monarch City. In combat, the Gluttons attack using their long spike-like claws to skewer their enemies and pull them into their gigantic razor-toothed mouths, feeding upon their enemies the way they feed upon the Realm. Deadlier than the Gluttons, the Blood Demons charge into battle wielding a flaming sword that not only burns the body, but corrupts the soul as well. The Demon Minions Pack provides the players with 20 unpainted Gluttons and 5 unpainted Blood Demons, along with 2 Minion Reference Cards describing how these Minions are to be used in playing Defenders of the Realm.